‘Little Chicago’: South Shore’s business history


472961642 122127661736572604 7589366202095160553 n

Main Street in South Shore in its early days.

Ahead of South Shore’s 125th Anniversary, the Current is pleased to publish a special section on the community’s history. 

The business acumen of South Shore predates the formal incorporation of the town. A thriving main street with a variety of businesses was already in place when city leaders voted to incorporate in December 1901.

Screenshot 2026 05 19 123143

Frank Schmeling and his team at the flour mill in South Shore.

South Shore’s location as the halfway point between two large cities of Milbank and Watertown — county seats at that — proved valuable. At one point, the community had five elevators to serve the farmers in the area. The first elevator was built in 1889, one of the first in South Dakota.

The 20-mile distance also meant that South Shore was fairly self-sufficient, and a variety of stores and establishments served the various needs of the town. Changing and growing with the community, livery stables and general stores gave way to service stations and the Red Owl and the Gamble Store. The train station operated until 1959. South Dakota Highway 20 now links the town to the rest of the world.

1000009549

Schoepp Hardware

The tenacity of this small but mighty town earned it the nickname “Little Chicago.”

The town’s location on the shore of two lakes made it an early recreation destination, and several businesses served to support this enterprise, including a speed boat dealer and several resorts.

Scan 20260519 122734

Alvin “Junior” Meyer at Meyer’s Rec in 1973.

Over the years, numerous saloons and eateries have been gathering places for the community. What is now called Meyer’s Recreation was built in 1910-11 as a bowling alley. Many South Shore youth recall being entertained at “the Rec.”

The South Shore Gazette, first known as the South Shore Republican, began in August 1898. The newspaper was founded by John and George Burt. Before acquiring its own space, the paper was run from the back of the bank and post office building. In 1919, it was purchased by H.C. Knipple, who gave it the “Gazette” name. The weekly publication was purchased by Sherry Elmore and Candace Krosschell in 1985. It is currently owned and operated by Elmore’s father, Glenn.

Like its larger namesake, the enterprising spirit of “Little Chicago” could only be hammered by outside forces, namely fire. The east elevator burned in 1889 and in 1913. A fire in 1917 destroyed many buildings on the west side of Main Street. An October 1923 fire — the biggest in the town’s recorded history — destroyed nine buildings on the east side of the business district, with losses estimated at between $75,000 to $100,000. The H and M Garage and Harrington Hall was destroyed in 1926. Fire would later destroy Lars’ Hamburger Inn. Chris’ Place diner was destroyed by fire in January 1995.

1000009550

The South Shore Butcher Shop

Though the fires may have destroyed buildings, they have also brought the town together. During the 1995 fire, “people from all walks of life” worked together to preserve city resources and documents, as well as newspaper equipment and archives, as the fire was located between the town hall and the Gazette offices. Others helped pump water from the lake and manned the well house. Still others served coffee and food to the firefighters.

The fire also demonstrated South Shore’s resolve, its doggedness. “I don’t know where we’ll put out this week’s paper,” said Gazette owner and publisher Sherry Elmore after the fire. “But we’ll have one.”

474105102 122129614010572604 1884453333297556629 n e1778080512746

Main Street in South Shore as it appears today.

1456x180px in story rotator